September 13, 2010

Some References from the Bible indicating that Jesus was God but not God incarnated

“For in Him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Col 2:9)

I. Jesus was God:

• “He who has seen Me has seen the Father” (John 14:9
• “I and My Father are one.” (John 10:30)
• “I am He (the Father)” (John 8:24)
• “I am in the Father and the Father in Me” (John 14:11)
• “And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me” (John 12:45)

II. Jesus was also not God:

• “No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared him.” (John 1:18)
• “I am going to the Father, for My Father is greater than I.” (John 14:28)
• “I can of Mine own self do nothing...not My own will, but the will of the
• Father which has sent Me.” (John 5:30)
• “I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.” (John 8:28)
• “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.” (Matt 24:36)
• “And when He had sent them away, He departed into a mountain to pray.” (Mk 6:46) (to God, most likely!)
• “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?” (Mk 15:34)
(Collated and summarized by David F. Young, Seminar on Teaching Christians more effectively, 1999)